Late last week my kids asked if we could go to Sweet Frog. As much as I wanted to indulge and take them I knew that would be a little too risky for the healthy eating habits I’m trying to perfect! 😉 I got some inspiration from instagram and decided to make a healthy treat that both my kids and I could enjoy and satisfy our sweet tooth. Since I make healthy smoothies all the time I already had all the ingredients that I needed.
1. Favorite Frozen Fruit (you can have it pre-freeze yourself or buy at your local grocer)
2. Chilled Almond Milk or Coconut Milk….Whichever is your preference… I try to stay away from dairy
3. A blender
Mix everything together you pretty much have a sorbet or smoothie-ish concoction of some sort
4. I also added some whipped cream just for the fun of it… ENJOY!
I know I know, I’ve been MIA for a while but I’m back! I had a rough day at work today so I decided to come home and make some Pumpkin Muffins!!! Both my husband and my trainer (@kim_sportsnlife found on instagram) has my family and I on this Paleo kick and well frankly I’m more interested in what satisfies my tummy!!!
I love fall and I love pumpkin. Since I’m a Pinterest junky I decided to try Paleo-ish pumpkin muffins! I had to first find a recipe close enough to the ingredients I already have in my pantry. I found this easy enough recipe at http://northwestcavegirls.com/2013/04/paleo-coconut-flour-muffins/
Here are their instructions (NorthWest Cave Girls):
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (melted)
- 1 can (15oz) organic pumpkin
- 6 eggs (room temperature) <——- I only had three so I used three eggs and some apple sauce!
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 11/2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. of allspice
- ½ tsp. of ground cloves
- ½ tsp. of baking powder
- handful of raisins or/and chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350*f
- Mix coconut flour and oil and let sit for 5 mins to do it’s thing (absorbtion)
- Add other ingredients and mix well.
- Divide batter into lined or oiled muffin pans
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to stand and cool for as long as you can
- THEN devour!!
In the mist of my determination I realized I only had 3 muffins instead of 6 that the recipe requires. Thank goodness I’m a HAWT Mama and I used my God given resourceful mind, I decided to demolish this lack of eggs dilemma by using…..APPLE SAUCE!!!
I was excited, I was motivated and my mouth was salivating at the meer thought of these pumpkin muffins….I looked into the oven to see how they were coming becuase the smell was so delicious!!! They were still mush….it’s ok I had 35 more min to go! LOL
After they finished cooking and letting them cool off my husband I finally had one, were they worth the wait? For him yes….for me they were more “interesting” than anything else. They weren’t the yummiest muffin I’ve ever had but they definitely were far from disgusting! 😉